Thursday, January 13, 2011

Once in a lifetime

I live in the south. Not the deep south, but south enough to say ma'am and ya'll, to have macaroni pie, and have brutally hot summers. South enough that it hardly ever snows. We might get a few flakes, but nothing ever sticks and nothing is ever accumulated.

I am certain the end of the world is coming. We've had two significant snow falls in the past month! The Christmas Day snow was nice. It look pretty. It lasted the night and then the next day it started to melt. The past Sunday night, when they were calling for snow, I snuggled into bed and thought nothing of it.

Well, when I woke up and looked out the window, Gene informed me that I wasn't going anywhere today. Ok, he told me I wasn't going to work, but he needed to go to the UPS store and asap. He needed to mail some samples.

So we get up, get dressed, get coffee and head up the road to the shop. We could have walked, but since we need to go into town to go to the UPS store, why not drive there.

This is the shop, all pretty in its snow fall.

Jameson Woodworks never closes

You can see the accumulation on the porch. That measured about 4 inches at that point. This was at 9am, the snow was continuing to fall.

While Gene got things organized in the shop, I pranced around taking photos.

cardinal in bird feeder

The cardinals were easy to spot in the snow. I was mad that I only had my 50mm with me. I couldn't get close enough to them without scaring them.

cardinal in the snow

When we loaded up and hit the road, this is what it looked like.

yeah... we went and drove around

The roads weren't really bad. Maybe just a little bad. Just snowy at this point. We put the FJ into 4 wheel drive and took off! It took 2 hours to do what normally could have been done in 30 minutes. I looked at the temperture gauge and gasped, then I remembered what it said this summer...


We made it there and back safely. I spent the rest of the afternoon snuggled on the couch in front of the fireplace. Gene went back to the shop.

The night came and the ice came. The next morning things looked ominous out. Cars weren't passing on the street anymore. At this point, not even Gene wanted to get out there. We hunkered down inside until we couldn't take it anymore. We put our boots on and walked up to the shop to get some work done.

Woody provided me with interesting entertainment along the way...

He tried to make a snow angels

making snow angels

He begged the donkeys to come and play

I want to play with them

He frolicked in the snow


Our poor little gnome was up to his armpits in snow. This gnome has brought us nothing but snow, I'm tempted to send it back to where it came from.


After 2 and a half days stuck at home. I was glad to get back to work. Although, it was fun to sit and watch the snow

More than a few weeks before

I'm ready for spring now, mmkay!


  1. I LOVE your house!!! :)
    Blessings and Joy!

  2. Lisa,

    These are so fun - what great photo-journalism! The cardinal looks like he knows he needs to hide in that bird feeder! Your house looks gorgeous in the snow!

    I'm thinking Woody likes the snow!!

    Have a great day (and hopefully no more snow!)

    xo ellie

  3. Haha, I LOVE the gnome!!! Gnomes are the best, don't send him away! ;)