Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Coming up for air

So as I previously mentioned, things have been pretty busy around here. I've got a moment or two that I'm designating blog time. I've got lots of topics to discuss, but I'm going to stick to just one right now.

Soccer, and JJ's soccer.

Let me tell you, this kid LOVES this sport. He dreams of bending like Beckham and vuvuzelas at the World Cup. We've always kept him active because he always has so much energy, and really I think it was a way to tire him out so he would sleep at night!

IMG_0743
Can you see his dreams?

This year, his soccer skills have exponentially grown. Well, at least in my opinion. But really, other coaches have come up to tell us what a great player he his. That always makes me feel warm and fuzzy, even though I really had nothing to do with it. (Besides working my ass off to afford the gas in the car to get us there and back!)

Here he is getting aggressive.

IMG_0723

We've work hard to get him to support his own. A mama has never been so proud. And... he didn't even get fouled!

I was bummed that most of the week day games this year were later at night and nearly in the dark. That doesn't bode well for my picture taking itch. However, I had weekend games. But, most of those got rained out. I was losing hope. But, mother nature was nice to me, and gave me one last great day.

JJ wrapped up the soccer season with a great saturday game.

Even though it was noon and really sunny, I still had a blast, as did he!

IMG_0755 wm

Well, maybe not every minute

IMG_0752

I thought my soccer days were over till the fall, but we learned of an opportunity and we jumped on it. JJ has always played on our local, small town recreation team. A group of the better playes from that league, travels to the big city on saturdays to compete with other teams. We've considered getting him on a team in the big city, but it would be really hard for us to get him to practice, twice a week. (Its an hour each way).

But, we heard that our little bit bigger, but not big city near us, has something similar. And, get this, they play their games in the big city on Sundays! So, we wouldn't have to give up the best day of the weekend anymore.

So last Saturday, JJ went for evaluations. Basically, if you pay your money, you are on a team. But, the coaches want to check you out so they know whether to put you o the varsity team or the JV.

They did drills

IMG_0978

And our favorite term is now "on the jog". The coach makes them jog everywhere. He tells them, "on the jog" boys. JJ is gonna HATE that term! (insert evil mom laugh)

They had some discussions
IMG_0964 wm

And then they got to scrimmage...

IMG_1010

JJ didn't like wearing a penny, and he kept adjusting it. At one point he traded with another kid so his could fit better.

IMG_1012

Doesn't the boy on the right look like he's having fun. I can't wait to keep my lens on that one!

He went again yesterday for more evals, but I left the camera at home this time. But, he should find out later this week if he made the A team or the B. (He thinks A, all the way!) Either one would be fine with us.

They will reconviene in August with a week long evening camp and then practice, hard core twice a week once school starts. JJ can't wait. And ya know, I can't either...

IMG_0946 wm

2 comments:

  1. I seriously love that first shot! That look on his face is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to get to play on another team! I hope it all works out & doesn't wear you guys out too much with driving.

    ReplyDelete